I regret planning a holiday before I leave. And once I am ‘there’ I don’t want to think of home!
So here is a list of things I panic about:
- Packing: Have I enough clothes? Have I too many clothes? Have I the right clothes? How do I fit in the walking shoes and the formal shoes and the chappals? Is it going to rain? Do I need an umbrella? Is it going to be cold? Do I have enough woollies? Do I really need them? What medicines should I take? Did I pack my chargers? Am I going to read two books or three? Are the books too heavy?
- Money: Do I have enough? Do I need all these credit cards? Have I got them safe yet handy? Am I going to lose my money? Are my cards going to get pinched? What is the exchange rate? Shall I change money at the airport or the city? What if I don’t change at the airport and don’t find an exchange easily? Am I going to get gypped?
- Documents: Did I put in all the papers I need? Do I have all the hotel contacts, the visa documents, the whatever, the whatever? Have I got copies of all of them? What if I lose them?
- Connectivity: Will my phone work? Are the charges going to kill me? Will I be able to regularly access email?
And of course..
- Work: Did I forget to do something important? Is what I sent the Boss OK, or is he/she going to want some changes? If so, how will it get done? Is there going to be a crisis just in this one week? Are the skies going to fall?
- Home: What about thieves and burglars and break-ins? Do all those wicked people know I am away? Are they watching for a chance? Are they planning for a break-in?
And the most predominant one in my life currently…
- Older people: Is my mother going to be OK when I am away? Even if she doesn’t fall ill, is she going to panic herself sick because I am away? What if the doctor doesn’t respond promptly? Does she have all her medicines? Does she have all contact numbers??
But the learning for life, which I have to remind myself about before every trip…..
Crises do break out, but they get managed somehow.
Wallets do get whacked, but there is not much one can do.
We do over-pack and under-pack, but never learn to do better next time.
And we do live to travel another day.
So no point worrying, just go!
Yes, you got it right. Just got back from a holiday!